Academy for Cultural Diplomacy

The Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies (CCDS)

Academic FAQs

It is important to us that you, our students and prospective students, feel as prepared and informed as possible before leaving for Berlin and arriving on campus. We endeavor to answer all your questions beforehand with our list of Frequently Asked Questions. Answers for specific course-related queries can be found on the 'Program Curriculum and Structure' pages for each individual course.

What additional programs and activities are available to me as a CCDS student?

Students of the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies have the opportunity to attend all of the conferences and events organized by the ICD, all free of charge.

In some situations, the ICD may offer financial support/scholarships for attending the ICD’s international conferences outside of Berlin. 

In addition to this, we have an extensive list of social and cultural programs for you to participate in. Please see the Social and Cultural Activities page for more information on the types of activities available. 

What is the language of instruction at the CCDS?

All of our courses are taught and evaluated in English.

Will I receive credit for the courses I take at the International School?

All bachelors, masters and PhD programs at the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies are taught in partnership with, and accredited by, reputable European institutions. This includes The University of Siena, Italy; The University of Bucharest, Romania; Babes-Bolyai University, Romania; The Furtwangen University (HFU), Germany, Coventry University and The University of Nicosia

Will I receive a degree at the end of the program?

Bachelors,  masters and PhD students at the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies are full time students and receive a fully pledged BA  MA or PhD degree at the end of their academic program. Our academic Programs are created within a framework called the Bologna Process. The Bologna Process facilitates mobility by providing common tools (such as a European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) and the Diploma Supplement) to ensure that periods of study abroad are recognized. This enables degree programs and qualifications awarded in one country to be understood in another.

In order to study for a full year, do I have to start in the fall?

Students who wish to enroll onto one of our degree programs may start the academic year in the fall, the spring or the summer, depending on each program’s regulations. Please see the website for further information on the start dates of each program and the application process. 

How do I go about applying for a visa?

Upon acceptance of a place at the CCDS, students receive a series of official documents required for obtaining a student visa and further advice.  

What healthcare am I entitled to if I'm a student from within the EU?

All members of the EU are entitled to the EHIC which allows them free basic medical attention should they need it, but we advise all of our students to get additional health insurance simply to avoid any potential excessive medical costs. 

What healthcare am I entitled to if I come from outside the EU?

Purchasing health insurance is mandatory for students staying for longer than three months. The insurance must cover all costs for medical treatment in the event of serious illness and accident in Germany.
Please note that proof of sufficient health insurance coverage is necessary when applying for a visa and a residence permit. Upon request, students are given further advice and recommendations for possible health insurance providers. 

Where do I find more information about my course (timetable, reading list, etc.)?

All successful candidates will receive an information package before the semester starts detailing the content of the modules and the course materials required. Students will receive information on how to get into contact with their lecturers and professors. They will be given a comprehensive timetable. 

How do I go about opening a German bank account?

Students are advised to do their own research on opening a German bank account as each bank has a slightly different package and requirements. The CCDS Student Support Network is always at hand to assist in the process and offer advice. We can arrange for someone to accompany the student to the bank for extra moral support.

Is there any guidance available on getting a part-time job in Berlin?

It is very easy to get a part time job in Berlin and depending on what type of work the student is looking for our team has a list of contacts and suggestions that can aid in the search for extra work. Whilst we encourage students to prioritize their studies, we understand that having extra financial support can make all the difference and so we endeavor to help them find suitable part time work which doesn't impact on their academic life. 

Do I have to pay any taxes?

No, students currently studying in Germany are not required to pay any taxes.

What can I expect when moving to Germany? Are there any traditional customs which I should be aware of?

Berlin is an extremely multicultural and international city and students will find it unique in that way. There are constant celebrations throughout the year of various different faiths, cultures, religions and traditions. Tolerance in Berlin for all cultures and lifestyles is exceptionally high. 

How can I best prepare myself for my studies in Germany?

The ICD website is the perfect place to begin your preparation for your studies. Cultural diplomacy is not necessarily something that students will have come across in detail in their graduate courses so familiarizing themselves with what the ICD does and browsing through articles, lectures and conference agendas will be invaluable. Students are also advised to familiarize themselves with the members of the ICD Advisory Board and their contributions to the field.

I have a question that is not answered here, where can I get more information?

We ask students not to hesitate in contacting CCDS with any further queries they may have regarding the course itself, the ICD or moving to Berlin in general. Please send an email to where our team will deal with the query and respond as quickly and efficiently as possible.